Website Fraunhofer IWM
Materials Informatics, Modelling
You want to have it all? MATERIALS, PHYSICS, TECHNOLOGY, INFORMATICS, WEB? As of now, The Fraunhofer Institute for Mechanics of Materials is looking for a
RESEARCH SCIENTIST/PROGRAMMER FOR COMPUTATIONAL MATERIALS ENGINEERING – MATERIALS INFORMATICS (IWM-2018-47)
Materials research has so far been based on experiments and simulations. In the future, it will also be based on data – Materials 4.0 could be the right catchword. Semantic data will help to accelerate the introduction of new innovations for materials and components to the market.
It won’t be easy – so we are looking for you to join our multidisciplinary team of materials scientists, physicists, chemists and computer scientists to develop software algorithms and data-space solutions for tomorrow’s materials science.
Your Tasks include:
- Working in R&D in a team with programming in Python, C++ or Java
- Cooperation with international partners from the fields of software development and data science for creating cloud-based infrastructures for material development:
- Programming of tools for the construction of structured data spaces based on markup languages (JSON, YAML, OWL and RDF)
- Design, development and implementation of user interfaces (web-based, angular, react, etc.)
- Design, development and implementation of web services (front- and backend), web-compatible interfaces and APIs (RESTful web services)
- Communication in developer forums, online channels and documentation, if applicable
- Presentation of research results in publications as well as at conferences and project meetings
- Writing of research proposals
What we expect from you
- Completed university studies in computer science, materials science or similar (but we will also consider you as research assistance even before your degree is complete!)
- Very good knowledge of at least one programming language, e.g., Python, Java, C++.
- Good knowledge and/or interest and willingness to learn, e.g.,:
- Algorithms for Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Databases (SQL or noSQL, like MongoDB, postgreSQL)
- Virtualization technologies (e.g., dockers) and cloud systems
- Experience with developer forums and channels, e.g., GitHub and others
- Very good spoken and written English
- Good knowledge of German is an advantage
- Very good conceptual understanding
- Openness for interdisciplinary and international cooperation
- High self-motivation and enthusiasm
If you apply as a Post-Doc, we expect research experience and proof of publication in a relevant field.
Does this matching your skills and/or interests? Do you have even more ideas and knowledge to help us? We have many exciting and relevant tasks where you can prove yourself!
What you can expect from us
- As a highly innovative research and development company we offer versatile projects with high practical high-tech industry relevance and freedom in individual development
- If you are interested, you have the opportunity to do your doctorate
- Work-life balance through flexible working hours and support services to reconcile family and career
- Supervision for your children up to 6 years
- Professional and personal development opportunities
- Company fitness and in-house health and prevention courses
The working time consists of 39 hours per week. Part-time (80%) at Ph.D. possible.
The position is initially limited for 2 years.
In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
If you have any questions about this position, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Dr. Adham Hashibon
Please apply online! (CV with certificates of academic degrees and grades)
Information about the institute can be found at:
|Job Reference: IWM-2018-47|
Apply (will direct to the external Fraunhofer recruiting website)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com